125-celebrating-the-past

1821

Fr. André Coindre
Founder of the Brothers of the Sacred Heart

In the aftermath of the French Revolution, Fr. André Coindre, a young parish priest in Lyon, France, founded the Brothers of the Sacred Heart to give hope to young people and eventually lead them to faith. Since then, brothers and lay colleagues, working as partners in mission, have continued and extended Coindre’s work in schools and orphanages throughout the world.

Fr. Andre Coindre'
St. Vincent Cross

The Original cross that
hung in St. Vincent’s Academy.

1846
On October 8, 1846, Brother Polycarp, the “Second Founder” of the Brothers of the Sacred Heart, sent five brothers from this location in Paradis, France to Mobile, Alabama to operate an orphanage, initiating the first works outside of France.

1846 Brother Polycarp

1894
Brothers Felix, Artus, Firmin, and David opened St. Vincent’s Academy, named in honor of the St. Vincent de Paul Society. From its beginning in 1894, no student has been turned away or denied admission because of the inability to pay tuition.

1894 Brothers Felix, Artus, Firmin, and David

1897 Edward Wax, Stanley Miller, Louis Leurey
1897
First three graduates receive diplomas from St. Vincent’s Academy.
(L to R) Edward Wax, Stanley Miller, Louis Leurey


1930
CHS Mothers’ Club is founded.

1936 Dennis F. (Pete) Burge

1936
Dennis F. (Pete) Burge, the first lay teacher, joins the Catholic High Faculty.

1929 St. Vincent’s Academy

 

1929
St. Vincent’s Academy changed its name to Catholic High School and moved into a modern, brick building at the corner of North Street and Fourth Street with an enrollment of nearly 300 students.

1938
The “C” Club is established and later
reorganized into the CHS Men’s Club.

1957 Catholic High School

1957
Catholic High School moved from North Street to Hearthstone Drive and ownership of the school was transferred from the Archdiocese of New Orleans to the Brothers of the Sacred Heart.

1963 CHS Gym

 

1963
The CHS community dedicated the new gymnasium.

1964 Peggy Fauver

 

1964
Peggy Fauver, the first laywoman teacher, joins the CHS Faculty.

1965 First Female Students

 

1965
The first female students from St. Joseph’s Academy enrolled in CHS physics classes.

1968
Under the leadership of Brother Donnan Berry, S.C. as principal, the first two African American students graduated from CHS.

1968 Anderson & Cook

1969 First Integrated Game

 

 

 

1969
On December 3, 1969, CHS played McKinley in what marked the first integrated high school athletic competition in the Baton Rouge area.

1973 CHS Union

1973
The new CHS Union building is dedicated.

1981 Track Dedication

 

1981
Dedication of the track and baseball facility.

 

1985
Dedication of the Fine Arts/Computer Center.

1989 Blue Ribbon

1989
Catholic High School is recognized as a National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence by the U.S. Department of Education.

1993 Greg Brandao

 

 

1993
Dr. Gregory A. Brandao ’73 is named the first lay principal of Catholic High School.

1994 CHS 100 Years

1994
Celebration of 100-year anniversary with the dedication of the Centennial Courtyard and the installation of the sculpture, “Dialogue of the Heart.”

1994 Historical Marker

1994
This historical marker, installed by the City of Baton Rouge at the original location of St. Vincent’s Academy, recognizes the contributions of Catholic High School in Baton Rouge.

2001 Scott Lamana

2001
CHS alumnus Scott Lamana ’88 is among the victims of the September 11 terrorist attack on the Pentagon.

2002
In 2002, CHS completed the Health and Physical Education Center. On May 19, 2014, the Center was renamed the Ryan D. “Jume” Jumonville ’91 Health and Athletic Performance Center.

2002 Jume Center
2011 Lisa Harvey

2011
Lisa Harvey is named as the first female principal of Catholic High School.

2014
Catholic High School is recognized as a National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence by the U.S. Department of Education for the fifth time.

2014 Blue Ribbon
2014 Habitat for Humanity

2014
Highlighting service to others as a priority, CHS conducted its first school-sponsored and funded Habitat for Humanity Build. The presentation of the home occurred on January 23, 2015. Students, faculty, staff, parents, alumni, and friends participated in the fundraising and construction of the home.

2015 STREAM

2015
Implementation of the STREAM curriculum providing students an interdisciplinary approach to learning and problem solving.

2017 Pete Boudreaux

 

2017
Dedication of the new track and field facility in honor of CHS alumnus, teacher and coach Pete Boudreaux ’59.

2019
Construction begins on the new 32,000 square foot student center, dedicated in memory of Brother Donnan Berry, S.C.

2019 New Student Facility

EMBRACING THE FUTURE

Father André Coindre’s charism and the rich tradition of the Brothers of the Sacred Heart are a precious gift for Catholic High School, the Baton Rouge community, thousands of alumni, and future generations of students. The dedicated brothers and lay colleagues who work as partners in the mission of CHS are committed to continuing that gift through dynamic adaptation to changing times and needs.

Brothers of the Sacred Heart Schools