March 31 | CHS Community – An Important Update From Lisa Harvey, CHS Principal
Dear Parents and Students,
Following the national guidelines from President Trump, Governor John Bel Edwards has extended Louisiana’s stay-at-home order until at least April 30. Of course, this means that CHS will not return to campus on the planned date of April 14. As disappointing as this news is, it is not unexpected, and is in the best interest of our school community, city and state.
Therefore, we will continue with the TSOL for the foreseeable future. I appreciate more than you know the work that all of our students are doing to continue their education and the work that our entire faculty is doing to ensure that our students are continuing their education, receiving personal attention, and experiencing love and compassion. Even though from a distance, the mission of Catholic High continues.
Please read carefully the following important information:
- The Easter break is April 6 – April 13. During this break, students will not have any assignments to complete. Any assignment given on Friday, April 3 will be due to teachers by 5:00 p.m. that day. This means that assignments on Friday should be relatively small and quick to complete.
- We have made a decision about final exams for all students: Final exams will not be cumulative for the second semester and will not be worth 20% of a student’s second semester grade. Some sort of end-of-the- 4th quarter assessment is still required, but that assessment will count as a 4th quarter grade, and it will be given in a 50 minute class period. Final exam days are now referred to as “testing days.”
- Senior testing days are now May 6, 7, and 8. A schedule for those testing days will be sent later in the month.
- Underclassmen testing days will be given on the regularly scheduled exam days in a 50 minute period.
- Following the Easter break, TSOL will resume on Tuesday, April 14. Students must be ready to check in to classes between 8:00 and 8:30 on Tuesday, April 14 and begin class instruction.
I know that many of you have questions about the numerous events and activities that are now postponed even further, and when those events may be rescheduled. I wish that I had those answers for you, but I do not. Like everyone else in our state, we are doing what we can with the information we are given each day. Rest assured that the CHS administration is continuing to work daily to move our school forward through these trying times. I promise that I will keep you updated with all relevant information as soon as it is available.
In addition, our counselors are continuing to work on important and essential tasks on behalf of our students regarding course selection for next year, college admissions information, just to name a few. It is important that students respond quickly to counselors’ emails so that this necessary work can take place.
Amid all of the uncertainty in our world because of the COVID-19 pandemic, we realize that there is additional stress and anxiety for everyone. These changes are difficult for all of us and we are aware that the TSOL is an additional struggle for some students. Please do not hesitate to reach out to a teacher or counselor for assistance. In addition, our administrators are available to you as well. Feel free to contact: Lisa Harvey at firstname.lastname@example.org; Tom Eldringhoff at email@example.com; Jared Cavalier at firstname.lastname@example.org; or Christy Kessler at email@example.com. Our prayers continue for all of you and your families.
Ametur Cor Jesu. Loved be the heart of Jesus.