Football Bears Continue District Play Against St. Amant Gators
The Bears won their fifth game in a row with a 47-6 victory over the Broadmoor Bucs on Friday, October 16. The Bears are now 5-2 overall and 2-0 in District 5-5A.
Junior Clyde Edwards-Helaire rushed seven times for 128 yards and two touchdowns, while hauling in four passes for 88 yards and a score. Senior quarterback Ian Brian completed 10 of 12 passes for 173 yards and three touchdowns. Senior receiver Blair Bogan had a 20-yard scoring catch from Brian, junior running back James Berrigan rushed 24 yards for a touchdown and junior quarterback Zack Crawford tossed a 14 yard scoring pass to junior Andrew Bienvenue. Juniors James DeLee and Diego Carrera played well for the Bears on defense, plugging Buccaneer run holes and providing pressure on the passer throughout the night. Junior Parker Fontenot added four extra points to go with one each from sophomores Preston Stafford and Blake Davis. Bienvenue had an onsides kick recovery and a solo tackle on kickoff coverage.
PLAYERS OF THE WEEK:
OFFENSE – Junior receiver Lance Chaisson caught a touchdown pass of 27 yards from Ian Brian and continues to block extremely well on the perimeter.
DEFENSE – Sophomore linebacker Kael Howard played the better part of four quarters for the Bears. Howard played with great efficiency and intensity and came up with several big stops during the game.
SPECIAL TEAMS – Senior Chris Dyess was in on three tackles on kickoff coverage and executed well on punt return.
This week, the Bears will travel to the Gonzales area on Friday, October 23 for a 7 p.m. kickoff at The Pit. The Gators are 6-1 and are coming off of a loss to heated parish rival and neighbor, East Ascension by a 31-10 score.
- The Gators, like LSU in Death Valley, have a tremendous home record at The Pit.
- St. Amant has notable wins over 5-2 Live Oak, 3A’s number three ranked team in Lutcher 21-20, and 4-3 Woodlawn.
- The Gators sport one of the state’s best kickers in Briggs Bourgeois. Bourgeois converted a 51 yard field goal earlier this season and is also his team’s leading receiver and punt and kickoff returner. Bourgeois has scored 91 points this season, a school record for one season.
- Fans will see a ton of #23 this Friday night.
- St. Amant is led on offense by quarterback Hayden Mallory. Mallory has thrown for 22 touchdowns this season, a school record.
- Running back Nathan Taylor rushed for 199 yards in his team’s win versus Woodlawn.
- Seth Babin is the offensive coordinator and Dwayne Thomassee is the defensive coordinator. Babin is a former quarterback at St. Amant and SLU. Thomassee was the head coach for a season at Ascension Catholic and is in his ninth season as the defensive coordinator for the Gators.
- Head coach David Oliver is in his eighth season at St. Amant. He has a career record of 40-35 and was the offensive coordinator at Southern University prior to coming to St. Amant. Oliver was also the tight ends coach for Tulane during the Wave’s 12-0 season in 1998.
- The Gators lost to eventual state champion Acadiana in the 5A playoffs in 2014.