Weiner To Go For 300th Career Win Against Teurlings Catholic
The Bears enter their week 5 contest with Teurlings Catholic off of a 35-17 win over the number two ranked team in 4A, St. Thomas More. The Bears possessed the ball for over 32 minutes of the 48 minute game and shut out STM in the second half to pick up their second victory of the season. The win was also the 299th in the career of head coach Dale Weiner.
Catholic will face Class 4A’s number three ranked team, Teurlings Catholic, in Lafayette on Friday, October 2. Kickoff will be for 7 p.m. on the TC campus. The Rebels are coming off a Thursday night win over Breaux Bridge, 14-7, in front of a statewide television audience. Like the Bears, TC has played a very tough pre-district schedule. The Rebels opened the season with a win over the Division III state champion in Calvary Baptist (a recent winner over 5A power Zachary); defeated Catholic League member Archbishop Shaw in week two; and lost to Class 2A’s top ranked team Notre Dame in week three.
Teurlings is led by Arkansas commitment, Cole Kelley, at quarterback. Kelley is a 6’7″ giant whose favorite receivers are Hayden Cantrelle, Jansen Lormand and Jacob Richard. Senior Noah Harris is a hard-nosed running back that rushed for over 100 yards against Archbishop Shaw and had a 80 yard touchdown pass versus Breaux Bridge. The Rebel offensive line averages 260 pounds per man up front.
The defense is led by junior cornerback Justin Murray, senior linebacker Alec Robertson, Justin Fontenot and defensive end Kaede Collette. The Rebels play a four man front defense, very similar to what the Bears saw in STM last week.
- Teurlings has built itself into one of the premier 4A programs in the state, going 49-17 since 2010.
- Teurlings lost in the quarterfinals of the Division I playoffs in 2014 to Archbishop Rummel of the New Orleans area.
- In 2015, both Teurlings and St. Thomas More will play their post-seasons in Division II, after “playing up” a class to Division I last season.
- Rebel head coach Sonny Charpentier has a career record of 182-55 as a head coach. He has been at the school since 1988.
- Charpentier’s son, Roch, is an offensive assistant on the TC staff.
- Principal Mike Boyer has been at the school since 1997 and is the voice of the Louisiana state track & field events at Bernie Moore Stadium at LSU and has headed multiple committees with the LHSAA.
- Former NFL quarterback, Jake Delhomme, is a Teurlings graduate and continues to support the school and athletic programs.
This Friday could be Coach Weiner’s historic 300th career win. Can’t make it to the game, but don’t want to miss Coach Weiner’s possible 300th victory? Tune in online to the Bruin Broadcast Network to watch the game live! Click here to view the live stream.
The game will also be broadcast live on 104.5 FM beginning at 7 p.m. Fans can follow Facebook and Twitter for live updates during the game. Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/chsbr and follow us on Twitter at @CHSBRAthletics.