22 Feb 2015

Varsity Lacrosse Returns to Winning Ways

After the Mardi Gras week out of school, the lacrosse program returned to game play competing against Brother Martin at Hartley Vey Park on Saturday February 21.

The Varsity squad started the day off with a large crowd. The Bears came out hot and scored first, with a goal by Tres Hawkins just 34 seconds into the contest, yet trailed 3-2 after the first quarter.  The teams traded goals in the second quarter, with the Bears trailing 5-4 at the half.

The Bears came out ready to play for the third quarter, scoring three goals and giving up none behind a stout defense.  In the fourth quarter, the Bears kept it up, scoring another 3 goals, while giving up just two goals.

Offensively, the Bears were led by Tres Hawkins with four goals and Matthew Berdon with three goals and one assist.  They were joined in scoring by Andrew Young with one goal and Jon Adam Town with two goals.  Additionally, Matthew Creel had a goal, his first of the season.  Helper of the game was Justin David with four assists.

Defensively, the Bears were led by Landon Tujague with seven ground balls and two take aways. 

After the varsity game, the JVB squad took to the field.  The Bears came out strong and kept up with the Crusaders ending the first half up 5-4.  They traded goals in the third quarter with the score 6-5 going to the fourth quarter.  However, the Bears ran out of gas in the fourth quarter, giving up three goals.  The Bears went down 8-6.

Offensively, the Bears were led by Holden David with three goals and one assist.  He was joined in scoring by Michael Bernard, Avery Eggart and Brennan Pizzalato, each with one goal.

Goalie Ryan Smith led them defensively, having eight saves on the day.

The final game of the day had the JV squad squaring off against the Crusaders.  After two early goals in the first quarter, the normally potent offense was held in check and not allowed another goal.  The Bears controlled the game, but couldní´t end possessions with scores.  The defense did was able to keep the Crusaders in check, only giving up one goal each quarter, but with the offense in a funk, the Bears lost 4-2.

The Bearí´s two goals were scored by Matthew Boyle and Brandon Chatelain.  The defense was led by Alex Perrodin with four ground balls and one take away and Beau Abadie who had four saves.

The Bearí´s will practice this week before returning to the field on Saturday, February 28. Varsity and JV will play Oak Mountain from Birmingham on Saturday in Covington, while JVB will travel to Central to play St. Martin and Central.

On Sunday, February 29, Varsity and JV will play Mountain Brook from Birmingham at Grizzly Field, for the first competition on the new surface. JV will play at 9 a.m. and Varsity at 10:15 a.m.